Sports PTB is a recently created non-profit organization in phase of growth and consolidation. It was formed in January 2015 and, at the moment, it has around forty members throughout Spain.
The association wants to promote sport for little people at all levels: at school, for leisure, for rehabilitation purposes and for competition; and in all the environments, especially the inclusive, that is, with people without disabilities, at school, on the street with friends, at sports clubs, etc.
Besides, Sports PTB is also focused on athletes who want to compete with other people with disabilities at local, national, international or Paralympic level competitions, and with other people with dwarfism in competitions like the World Dwarf Games.
Many stereotypes and prejudice fall against little people, which is a group that has been mistreated historically. This limits and affects both the vision and concept that society has on little people and also the self-image that little people, and their entourage, have of themselves. A visible consequence of this fact is that very few people with dwarfism practice sport.
Thus, a second goal of the association is, through sport, to raise awareness on people with dwarfism in order to break the existing prejudice. Moreover, sport, for its inclusive nature and for the social, physical and psychic benefits that it gives to all its practitioners, is the ideal tool.
These are some of the activities, tasks and services that the association already offers or that it will soon be offering:
- Provide advice to families and adults who already practice or who want to start practicing sport at any level.
- Liaise with schools, clubs, coaches and other sports professionals.
- Create a support network for our members where they can share experiences.
- Be the link between our members and disabled sports federations.
- Be in touch with associations for people with dwarfism in other countries.
- Raise awareness trough talks and motivational talks at schools, colleges, clubs, organizations and companies. These talks will be entertaining and will inspire positive thinking instead of being sensationalistic or trying to raising pity.
- Appear on mass media in order to change the image of people with dwarfism in society.
- Organize and/or participate in sporting events to publicize and/or to raise funds for the association.
- Provide technical and financial assistance to adapt sports equipment that our members may need.
- Organize sports meetings for our members and create teams, of all ages, to take part in competitions like the World Dwarf Games.